Sunday, September 10, 2006

My first week of classes are over...


As my first week of classes came to a close, the CBS campus was a buzz with talks of weekend festivities marking the start of a new school year. My roommates and I tried to attended the welcome back festivities at the on campus student pub but quickly found that there was a 3-4 hour line to get in.

This brings me to some of the interesting things that I noticed in my first week as a CBS student and wanted to share.

I'll start with one of my favorites - the fact that there is a full student bar right in the main lobby of the business building. The legal drinking age in Denmark, and most of Europe, is only 18, so almost all of the students on campus are of drinking age. So... why not have a bar where all the students are, right? However this was a bit shocking at first, when exiting my classroom and seeing a full bar serving drinks right outside the lecture hall and right next to the student cafeteria.

Another interesting observation is that people are allowed to drink in public in Denmark, both on and off campus. So almost every afternoon you can see students hanging out in the campus common areas with a six or twelve pack of beer taking the edge off of a long day of lectures. Or a student riding his bike back to his residence hall with a case of beer strapped to the back.

Although a little shocking, I have a feeling I will quickly be able to adjust to most of these changes in school atmosphere.
A little more interesting, however, is that most of the bathrooms on campus are co-ed. This has been an interesting sight to see, and I can imagine more of an adjustment for the female exchange students than for us males. The Danes, however, seem to be right at home with the idea.

So as the first week comes to a close, I find that there is some uniqueness to campus life hear in Denmark, but for the most part I am attending a University and school is school. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home