Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Back from Russia!

I made it!

After two over night ferries, two over night trains, a day train and countless bus, taxi, and subway rides, I successfully made it in and out of Russia safely. However, it was quite the experience. Russia is by far the least friendly travel destination I have ever experienced, even trumping my trip to China in the spring. On the positive side there were so many amazing things to see and it was one of the best adventures I have ever had. And I stress adventure, because it was just that.

It was not the smoothest trip. We ran into several problems along the way including the expiration our absolutely necessary Visas about 4 hours before we actually made it across the boarder. We also spent about four hours sleeping in the middle of Moscow station one morning, and seven of our party missed the train out of the country. We still don't know what has happened with that group. The last word was that they were pulled off a later train out of the country because of their seven hour expired Visas.

All in all, those of us on the trip agreed that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and we felt so fortunate that we were able to make the trip.

I have hundreds of pictures and many more stories to share, but unfortunately I have a final tomorrow and have to concentrate my efforts there. Stay tuned and I will put up another post to expand on many of the stories I have mentioned above as well as a few I haven't mentioned. And of course all of the pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home